Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spotted babblers

Being rarely arboreal, spending much of its life on ground searching for insects on fallen leaves and undergrowth, they are alert to approaching footsteps and run away with harsh alarm calls at the earliest. I have seen this bird few times before but it is first time am able to take the pictures. And quite surprisingly the bird was least intimidated by my presence, that left me intrigued. A bit of thinking and everything was falling into place. It so happened I was at Nandi hills few weeks back, its about 2-3hours from Bangalore. These hills are fast acquiring as the destination to be in and are known for its salubrious weather and the sight from these hills of Bangalore is beholding in particular at night. The place is also ‘notorious’ for couples who come for “epidermal exploration”, for such act seclusion is necessary prerequisite, and bushes of these hills are quite apt. It’s been happening for ages and is most likely that the habitats in the region too have got used to homo sapiens moving surreptitiously in bushes. Talking of bushy encounters this blogger too has much experience, not really proud of this past (the brutal rape at Budha garden really shook me…it was a place I used to frequent with someone or other. One day I decided no more this kind of crap so that was it). I have absolutely nothing against couples satiating hormonal demands but sometimes chasing some bird you end up at awkward scene in a particularly inopportune moment (well atleast from the couple’s perspective!!), in hindi they call it kabab meh haddi!!. Take this very instance I was very much engrossed with spotted babbler and after half an hour or so heard some coughing, realized I was almost over a couple!!. Don’t know who was more embarrassed!!. Tourist spots and park are never my favorite places but must say this bird was worth it and yes I almost caught Oriental White Eye (one brilliant blog even mentioned the location of tree I should keep an eye on for white eye!!) but for a bunch of families who seem to have landed up from nowhere and the younger crowded around me insisting that I should point to them what I was photographing!!. Overall I must say Nandi Hills has been a disappointment, and to add to the discomfort there is a temple too that blares noise from gargling speaker. God save.

Spotted babblers are found at 1400ft and above, small olive-brown bird with rufous cap and heavily streaked breast. They are generally heard more than seen. So I can consider myself fortunate to get these amazing pictures.

Hafiz: the man who knew the sense in humor

Hafiz (real name Shams-ud-din Mohammad Hafiz Shirazi, lived around 14century) was one of the greatest and most beloved Persian poet. I came across Hafiz more than a decade back when I was into Sufism and spent some time exploring Sufi mystics and so on. Hafiz is about love, love that transcends…but what people seem to miss about Hafiz is the humor, indeed it is a humor that is not very apparent and understood in completeness of life, now that is what I found amazing. It is in that mystical land of craziness and utmost profoundness he dwelled. Hafiz’s brightness was in his easiness and playfulness of words and thoughts. Hafiz is about freedom. These are English translations so one will have to bear with it.

The Days Of Spring

The days of Spring are here! the eglantine,
The rose, the tulip from the dust have risen--
And thou, why liest thou beneath the dust?
Like the full clouds of Spring, these eyes of mine
Shall scatter tears upon the grave thy prison,
Till thou too from the earth thine head shalt thrust.

This from “I heard God laughing

Would you think it odd if Hafiz said

“I am in love with every church
and mosque
and temple
and any kind of shrine


Because I know it is there
that people say the different names
of the One Gods”

Would you tell your friends
I was bit strange if I admitted
I am in love with every mind
and heart and body.

O i am sincerely
plumb crazy
about your every thoug
ht and yearning
and limb.

Because, my dear,
I know it is through these
That you search for him

I loved this one. What a charming little poem. It is from his famous collection “The subject tonight is love

The happy virus

I caught the hap
py virus last night
When I was out singing beneath the stars.
It is remarkably contagious
So kiss me

With Gold

Those lovely ones of the world one can bait with gold,
because of them, happily one can’t enjoy fate with gold.
See the narcissus that possesses the crown of the world
how its head also bends, from being straight, with gold.

And this another charming one

Some consolation

A moon whose shape was straight like the tall cypress,
straightened her fa
ce while holding mirror in her caress.
When I offered her the handkerchief she then said this:
"You seek union? At least your imagination isn’t a mess!"

Another one…

Preachers who at the altar and the pulpit a great display make,
when into pri
vacy they go, business of a different way make.

My soul is full of amazement at such brazen-faced preachers,
who practice so little of what on pulpit a display they make.

I’ve a difficulty to be put to the wise ones of the congregation ...
‘Why don’t they do penance, who it the order of the day make?’

You may say that they don’t believe in the Day of Judgement,
since in the business of the Judge, fraud and deceit they make.

Lord, place such upstart owners of new wealth on their asses,
for of having Turkish slave and ass, they boasts today make.

I’m the slave of the Master of the Winehouse, whose disciples

independently fling dust on all riches that the world may make.

You beggar of the monastery, leap up: in the Master’s dwelling
they give the pure liquid, that all hearts strong and gay make.

Make your house empty of idols so it can be Beloved’s home:
for the lustful, heart and soul a place for others to stay make.

O no, these clever ones full of deceit who don’t see the jewel,
equation that shell is worth the same as the pearl they make.

At dawn from God’s Throne was commotion as wisdom spoke ...
it could be said ‘Angels, a song from Hafiz’s verse today make.’

Paradise

Now the rose breathes the breeze of the garden of Paradise,
together am I and wine of Joy, Beloved with Heavenly eyes.

Today, why shouldn’t the beggar be boasting of a kingdom;
the feasting table is breadth of creation, roof is milky skies.

Maker of Life explains with Spring the only truthful story:
he who ignores today’s beautiful glory, is tomorrow unwise.

With the wine of Love fill the heart beyond overflowing:
for this rotten world is nothing but dust, everything dies.

This enemy is unfaithful: so don’t try to get even a spark
from the hermit’s candle, lit by lamp of a church that dies.

Don’t criticise me for mistakes I’ve made due to ignorance:
do you know the pathways carved on my skull by the tides?

Don’t you walk away from this graveside of Hafiz, because,
although buried in mistakes, he is traveling to Paradise.