Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pie on the tree !

Unlike lapwing Tree pie, as the name suggests, is arboreal and rarely seen on ground. It has sooty head and neck (as if it had peered into a chimney!), rufous wing and a conspicuous grayish white patch on the sides. It is a very common bird in winter, so common that I saw it right in the middle of polluted and crowded Delhi on a winter morning (need to add it was the Lutyen’s part of Delhi that is green with huge trees, I was walking…it is an isolated path and so very unsafe to walk, it is different matter that it may have highest concentration of police force anywhere in the country!). Tree pies don’t really prefer dense forests but region where clumps of huge trees and garden occur, they are generally found in pairs or group. Not intimidated by humans they though are shy and could be seen in patches as they fly across thick foliage. You could catch them pursuing insects climbing trees and sometimes hanging on claws very much supported by its long tail. This bird though has an envious reputation of being destructive to other species (after all it is a corvid!) as they ransack their nest eating eggs and chicks. Tree pie has one of the most melodious calls.

This poem titled “The dead crow” by Samad Said is translated from Malay
He saw a dead crow
in a drain
near the Post Office,
He saw an old man
gasping for air
And a baby barely able to breathe
In a crowded morning clinic
This land is so rich
Why should we suffer like this?

I want clean air
For my grandchildren
I want the damned fools
To leave the forest alone,
I want the trees to grow,
The rivers run free
And the earth covered with grass.
Let the politicians plan how
we may live with dignity
Now and always

Samad Said is one of the well known and foremost writer, poet and painter (as also essayist and playwright) of Malaysia. He is a Sasterawan Negara (national laureate, highest recognition for literary figures in Malaysia), the above is part of school curriculum and so read by most Malaysian (it is very much liked by children, a website had them expressing their opinion. His novel ‘Salina’ is also part of school curriculum-this he wrote when he was only 23, the book places in World War 2 and chronicles poverty and moral degeneration). His writings are known for its keen observations and intellectual integrity (but I must say I couldn’t come across much of his writings on the net). There is a debate that erupted in Malaysia few years back about removing all Sasterawan Negara writing from school curriculum since children find them difficult to understand. Said finds this ridiculous and questions the quality of teachers (need to add here Anwar Ibrahim as the Education minister immensely contributed to culture of reading in the country). He says “In America the students are studying To Kill A Mocking Bird, and in England they go for Lord Of The Flies. All are difficult books. If you want simple books, then just read ABC all the time… Just think of these students two decades from now. They are not exposed to good literature. We are not creating a situation where people will read good literature”. I don’t think there is anyone who could disagree with that. He further says “Reading is not easy. Unless you have cultivated the habit, you will not read. Things are becoming easier with the existing graphic novels. Now they can see pictures only. The intellectual groups always complain that my books are difficult to read, my books are difficult to study. If they don’t want to read my books, what can I do? If they don’t want to read books, what can I do? They will be stupid because they don’t read. …I am always moving up. I should not go down. They (readers) should also go up. If they don’t understand me, it doesn’t mean I am wrong. I am 72 and I have been through all sorts of experiences. I don’t just make a sentence. I care about every word I write, whether it is reasonable, whether it is beautiful”. Well said.